Music Review: JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound, 'Want More'

Everyone seems to want more of one thing or another — time, money, food — the list could go on forever. On Want More, the second album from JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound, that want might be more marijuana or liquor on some occasions, but considering the rays of soul that pour from the album, the casual references are just another part of the upbeat personality the band exudes.

Led by frontman JC Brooks, the Chicago band combines elements of pop, jazz and soul that refresh and energize right from the beginning of the album. Whether it’s Brooks’ dynamic vocals or the perfect combination of funky horns, crisp guitar and playful keys, The Uptown Sound is intent on bringing back the days of Motown with a vengeance.

Like the spark to a flame, the title track opens the album with funk-filled melodies, establishing a catchy vibe that gets the listener.

Although songs like “Missing Things” slow the groove down on the latter half of the album, the band’s effusive spirit remains on point. Want More is a succinct record that relives the best days of Motown. After decades of lesser vitality, Brooks and the Uptown Sound bring it back with a bang and their own twists. It’s an album that is refreshing and refined and ultimately leaves everyone wanting a little more of that funky soul.