NC crisis pregnancy centers criticized

Crisis pregnancy centers in the state, which cater to women who might be pregnant, are posing as something they’re not, according to a report released Monday.

The NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation’s report accuses the centers of giving inaccurate information to women.

The report said the centers need more state regulation because of their misleading practices and pro-life tendencies. It follows the passage of a law this summer allowing the centers to receive money through the sale of specialized “Choose Life” license plates.

At least 15 of the centers stated as fact that abortion leads to breast cancer, the report said.

The number of centers in the state has doubled in the last five years to 122 facilities, said Carey Pope, executive director of the organization.

Every public university in North Carolina has a crisis pregnancy center within 25 miles of its campus that targets college-aged women, according to the report.

“Many universities had them listed as resources on their website, and we want to be sure students know what they’re getting into,” Pope said.

Most centers are funded by faith-based organizations but might not be upfront about their anti-abortion ideology, she said.

And the centers are not licensed medical facilities, which means they do not require medical professionals on staff, she said.

“If these places are going to be performing free medical procedures, then they should be held to the same standards as legitimate medical centers,” Pope said.

According to the report, at least 50 of the state’s centers have no medical professionals on staff, increasing the potential to misinform women.

“That’s not appropriate medical care,” said Rep. Verla Insko, D-Orange.

But Mimi Every, executive director of Pregnancy Support Services, which has offices in Durham and Chapel Hill, said her facilities have medical professionals on staff.

She also said the center’s volunteers and staff are screened and given training if they interact with clients, and the literature the facilities distribute is checked for medical accuracy.

“If there’s any medical information in there, we check to see if it’s accurate,” Every said.

“That’s how we handle it here. We are not handing out inaccurate information.”

The centers have also drawn scrutiny for receiving state-sanctioned funding.

In June, the N.C. General Assembly approved legislation allowing North Carolinians to purchase license plates emblazoned with “Choose Life.”

Pro-choice organizations have criticized the law for providing a state-sanctioned channel to fund the centers.

“Is the state going to be in the business of funding these centers? If that’s the case, there needs to be some sort of standard,” Pope said.

The cost of each speciality plate includes a $15 donation to the Carolina Pregnancy Care Fellowship, which oversees some of the centers.

Sen. Tommy Tucker, R-Mecklenburg, said other states also offer the “Choose Life” license plates and said he sees no problem with the lack of a pro-choice license plate option.

Every said the center does not receive taxpayer money.

“It’s not government money,” she said. “It’s just being channeled through them.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.