Occupy Chapel Hill aims to prompt discussion, not make demands

7788_1017_occupychapelhill_stephensonf.jpg
A protester hold up a sign at the "Occupy Chapel Hill" protest in front of the Post Office on Franklin Street. The protest began Saturday morning at 10:30 and continues until Wednesday with protesters camping out in front of the Post Office.

Since Saturday morning, Peace and Justice Plaza has been occupied — and participants in the Occupy Chapel Hill/Carrboro movement don’t have plans to leave anytime soon.

The number of people in front of the post office on Franklin Street has fluctuated from about 20 to 100 people.

“We’re trying to give both an ongoing presence and give individuals the flexibility to stay or go to work or take care of their family situations or various things,” said Amanda Ashley, a Carrboro resident.

Ashley arrived 10 a.m. Saturday and spent the night. As of Sunday afternoon, she had only left to feed her cats.

Occupy Chapel Hill/Carrboro, inspired by Occupy protests across the country, is meant to bring attention to social and economic issues, Ashley said.

“From my point of view, Occupy is about redressing economic inequalities and taking power back from the wealthy elite to the general population,” she said, emphasizing that she does not speak for the entire group.

Occupiers have received food and monetary donations from supporters.

“I didn’t think we were going to have enough food to last the night and suddenly we just have an overflow, an abundance, of random stuff that people have generously brought in,” said senior Nelson Rhodes, who is on the food committee for the protestors.

But some passersby haven’t been as friendly. After Saturday’s football game, people yelled at and heckled the participants, said sophomore Charles Santos.

And students at UNC have met the protest with mixed reactions.

“I just felt like it was kind of a waste of time,” said sophomore Rachel Kokenes.

She said she thinks the occupiers should have a more cohesive plan.

“The intent behind the movement is good, but I think it is incredibly disorganized,” she said.

Freshman Miguel Penabella agreed that the movement was too disorganized.

“Everybody has different demands, not even serious demands,” he said.

But Santos said the main goal of the protest is to give a voice to people.

“It’s there to create a discussion, rather than make a demand.”

Contact the City Editor

at city@dailytarheel.com.