Several rural precincts opened only for sales tax vote

A quarter of the 44 churches, fire stations, schools and other community buildings in Orange County are slated to morph into election precincts Nov. 8, but voters will only see one item on the ballot — the quarter-cent sales tax.

With a countywide sales tax referendum on the ballot again after a narrow defeat last year, 11 polls will be opened in areas not holding municipal elections. Many of those locations, such as those in the unincorporated communities of Rougemont and Efland, cater to rural Orange County.

Each of the sales tax-only precincts will cost about $700 and require three election supervisors, said Tracy Reams, director of Orange County Board of Elections.

Reams said busier precincts and those in areas holding municipal elections can require staffs of five to seven people.

That means opening the extra spots could cost taxpayers about $7,700 altogether compared to the $7,000 it costs for each one-stop early voting poll on average.

Critics of the ballot measure have said opening the additional polls could cost even more.

But County Commissioner Chairwoman Bernadette Pelissier said the benefits of revenue that could be generated by passing the tax hike this year — intended for education and economic development — outweigh the cost of operating referendum-only polls.

“The economic gains from the sales tax increase would more than offset the comparatively small cost,” she said. “We would like to have the monies now so we can start doing things now.”

She said referendums often appear on the ballot several times before they are passed.

“Last year we didn’t have enough time to educate the public, but we’re doing a better job of that this time around.”

Orange County allotted $50,000 to an education campaign on the tax this year — $10,000 more than in 2010.

Orange County Planning Board member Mark Marcoplos said the information about the quarter-cent sales tax isn’t much clearer this year because county commissioners haven’t clarified how they will use the tax-generated funds.

Marcoplos also said the decision to hold the referendum again this year is a “calculated move” by the board of commissioners because rural voters have no other items on the ballot.

“The commissioners wanted it badly last year and they know that this year voter turnout is going to be way lower in the rural precincts,” he said. “They’re trying to slip it through quickly, and the additional operating cost adds insult to injury.”

But Pelissier said the increased public knowledge of the program and a consensus for economic growth in today’s difficult financial climate will motivate voters.

“What better incentive is there than to come out and vote for something for your community? The quarter-cent sales tax will help Orange County communities become more economically resilient in the long term,” she said.

But Marcoplos said, for him, the issue is less about voter turnout and more about fairness.

“The history of rural-urban relationships in this county is that the urban two-thirds of Carrboro and Chapel Hill voters always prevail over rural citizens in county-wide issues,” he said.

“This is exactly what you don’t want to do to build a unified county, because it’s going to bring up old resentment.”

Hillsborough resident Brenda Bell, chief election judge at Chapel Hill’s Booker Creek precinct, has been officiating municipal elections for 30 years.

Bell said the traffic at referendum-only voting precincts is generally lighter than those with voters choosing elected officials, but that officials are still needed.

“We have to make sure that the precinct runs smoothly, that all the rules and regulations are carried out and make sure that everyone has the opportunity to vote,” she said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.