As a UNC alum, I am incredibly ashamed that Psalm 100’s charter was not revoked.

One can make an endless amount of short-sighted, homophobic and inaccurate interpretations of the Bible. But the University’s decision should have nothing to do with religion, let alone a poorly constructed interpretation of a religious text. Will Thomason was removed from a university-sponsored student organization because of sexual orientation. This is undeniable.

Removing members who believe homosexuality is not a sin is very clearly sexual discrimination.
Any form of discrimination should be a direct violation of UNC’s non-discrimination policy. If Psalm 100’s charter is dictated by however the current members arbitrarily choose to interpret the Bible, then Psalm 100 is fundamentally discriminatory.

Furthermore, what is the group’s stance on evolution? I should hope an entire group of educated, informed UNC students has a least one member who believes in evolution. Have members been removed for differing views on creation?

More importantly, has Psalm 100 previously removed members for differing views on any other highly contested Christian beliefs?

The fact that there are constant debates surrounding homosexuality in relation to Christianity is proof that the Bible’s view on homosexuality is open for debate. It is not Psalm 100’s place to divine an exact reading of the Bible.

Finally, none of these arguments about religion should be pertinent. Will Thomason was removed either because he was homosexual, or because he thought it was okay to be homosexual. Differentiating the two is pointless — it is discrimination either way.
I fully expect UNC’s policy to change after this incident.

Sean vonLembke
Class of 2007