UNC has reduced energy consumption by 30 percent since 2009

The University has saved more than $10 million on energy costs since 2009 — putting it on track to reduce total energy consumption by 30 percent by 2015.

These savings are largely due to efforts to increase the efficiency of temperature regulation in University buildings, said Christopher Martin, director of UNC’s Energy Management Department.

Beginning in 2009, after the creation of the new Energy Use Policy, administrators began implementing a policy that gave the power of temperature control for a certain building to Energy Management rather than professors themselves.

The Energy Use Policy was implemented to help the University meet a mandate from the N.C. General Assembly to reduce its energy consumption by 30 percent by 2015.

The policy prescribes appropriate building temperature ranges for all of campus, which Energy Management administers.

“We have had to strengthen our priority for energy conservation, and change how we think,” Martin said.

Martin said some of the older buildings on campus are not equipped with the computer control systems necessary to effect these measures. But he said these buildings will be upgraded in the future as funds become available.

Todd Freeman, building commissioning technician for Energy Management, said the department examined the University’s heating systems and machinery before the energy conservation measures were put in place, which ensured their efficiency.

Freeman said this accounted for a large portion of the University’s $10 million in savings.

“These measures were very inexpensive; a large part of our thinking when reducing energy expenditure was cost-effectiveness,” Freeman said.

“In the first year, we saved around $3 million for a cost of several thousand,” he said.

Freeman said some have expressed discontent with their lack of control over room temperatures, but the overall feedback from faculty and students has been positive.

The University of Nebraska is planning to model its own energy-saving practices after the ones used by UNC, Martin said.

Stewart Boss, cochairman of the Sierra Student Coalition, said the success of energy efficiency improvements on campus is a testament to UNC’s environmental leadership.

Boss said he hopes legislators will note the University’s energy-saving measures and take action at the other 16 UNC campuses.

“Carolina still has lots of work ahead, but this announcement is an impressive benchmark for our campus, and Energy Management should be really proud of how much has been accomplished in such a short time frame,” Boss said.

The University’s energy conservation measures will help UNC reach its commitment of becoming climate neutral by 2050.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.