Monday October 18th

UNC SBP Mary Cooper faces delays on two of her ‘big three’ campaign platforms

Student Body President Mary Cooper works in her office in the student union.  She is struggling to represent student opinion on tuition increases while also doing what she thinks is best for the university.
Buy Photos Student Body President Mary Cooper works in her office in the student union. She is struggling to represent student opinion on tuition increases while also doing what she thinks is best for the university.

Two months into the school year, Student Body President Mary Cooper is pushing back deadlines after meeting roadblocks on two of her three primary platform points.

Expanding Carolina Computing Initiative’s printer locations and offering a flat-rate taxi service — platform points that Cooper proposed during her presidential campaign — have been delayed by technical difficulties that Cooper said were out of her administration’s control.

Cooper said the initial deadlines from her various platform points were an idealistic tool to motivate her administration to be proactive about achieving goals.

“It’s something that is good for pushing,” Cooper said.

Winston Crisp, vice chancellor for student affairs, said he thinks Cooper’s ideas are achievable but might take more time than expected.

“I do not, however, believe that these things can always be done on the time line that people hope for when the ideas are conceived,” Crisp said.

CCI

However, he said printing has expanded to some other locations, such as areas on North Campus.

CCI

“The expansion is what affects the largest number of students,” Hoover said. “We’re happy that students now have several printing options.”

Cooper said the flat-rate taxi service idea has been proposed to the town, and she is waiting for feedback.

“Working with the town of Chapel Hill to create a taxi ordinance is no small task,” Cooper said.

“Student government is doing their best to accomplish timely goals, while being respectful of people who have to work on them.”

Jasmin Jones, 2009-10 student body president, said she identifies with the Cooper administration’s difficulties.

“The Cooper administration has great goals, but it’s very hard because there are so many components to getting something big passed,” Jones said.

Jones said Safe Celebration — her platform point that promoted fewer celebratory bonfires on Franklin Street — also faced adversity.

Jones compared implementing programs on campus to passing national legislation.

“Just keep pushing it forward,” she said. “Some things take a few months, some things take a year and some things take beyond that.”

She said Cooper’s platform points seem feasible and beneficial to students.

“I’m sure she will make it happen,” Jones said.

Hoover said while it waits for feedback on the two platform points, the Cooper administration will focus on objectives such as sustaining the Student Enrichment Fund, which gives students the opportunity to attend off-campus events.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.

Welcome Back Edition 2021