UNC’s athletic director search committee has reached follow-up interview stage with potential candidates

After an athletic director search committee meeting held Monday at the Carolina Inn, chairman Lowry Caudill said the committee is far along in the process of finding North Carolina’s next athletic director and has reached the stage of follow-up interviews with potential candidates.

The 13-member committee, which has been meeting since Aug. 26, has already scheduled meetings for Oct. 19 and Oct. 26 — but Caudill said they will schedule more if needed.

“We’re not deadline-driven,” Caudill said. “I hate to even venture when we’ll be completed. All I can say is we’re very deep in the process and we’re honing in on where we need to be.”

At Monday’s meeting, Caudill said the committee discussed candidates and briefed Chancellor Holden Thorp on how the process has been going so far.

Thorp has requested that the committee present him with a slate of candidates from which he will pick the next athletic director.

“We hopefully, by briefing him, have him prepared so that when it is time for him to get the slate and consider how to move forward, that he’s not starting from zero, but he actually is already up and moving with respect to what he needs to do,” Caudill said.

Though finding an athletic director with the skills to hire UNC’s next football coach is vital, Caudill said the group is not solely focused on that one specific task.

“If they’ve hired a football coach or coaches, that’s obviously a plus,” Caudill said. “But we’re a 28-sport program at Carolina and so being able to hire any of our head coaches is awfully, awfully important.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.