7,000 fans pack USS Carl Vinson for Carrier Classic

Update: The Tar Heels lead Michigan State 36-25 at halftime.

Never before has there been a college basketball game aboard an aircraft carrier, so it’s no wonder folks don’t really know where to go.

The USS Carl Vinson is packed with 7,000 military personnel and fans for the college basketball season opener between North Carolina and Michigan State in the Quicken Loans Carrier Classic. People are taking pictures of the court, getting autographs from former Tar Heel basketball greats and buying merchandise to take home.

Behind the court is a four-person Navy band entertaining the crowd with both schools’ pep bands absent. The artificial lights are in place for when the sun sets, and there’s a mild, cool breeze blowing from west to east across the court.
The sun will be facing the players’ benches during the first half before setting around halftime. Without the sun and a stronger-than-anticipated breeze, players may come out in the second half wearing undershirts.

Former UNC basketball player and 1982 National Player of the Year James Worthy has been on court signing autographs. Worthy, along with former Michigan State and Los Angeles Laker teammate Magic Johnson, is an honorary captain for today’s game.

President Barack Obama will speak to the Tar Heels and Spartans separately before the game and address the crowd just before the 7 p.m. (EST) tip-off.

The overwhelming majority of fans in attendance are military personnel, but there are many civilians who scored tickets to today’s game. An eye measure shows a relatively even split between Tar Heel and Spartan fans.

UNC head coach Roy Williams said Tuesday he would wear “something special” for today’s game. Both teams will be wearing camouflage jerseys tonight.

After the game, Five for Fighting will perform a concert which members of both teams will attend. UNC will have to rush back to the team hotel following the game, shower and then jump on a plane back to North Carolina. The Tar Heels play UNC-Asheville on Sunday.