Man found dead in a Chapel Hill creek identified by police as a Fort Bragg soldier

Sgt. Shane Scott Pease served in the U.S. Army for five years before he was found dead in a Chapel Hill creek Saturday morning.

Pease, 24, of Decatur, Mich., was found by a jogger at around 9 a.m. in Bolin Creek, just north of the Martin Luther King Jr.
Boulevard and Hillsborough Street intersection, according to a press releases from the 82nd Airborne Division and the Chapel Hill Police Department.

The jogger contacted police after finding Pease, and EMS declared him dead at the scene, according to police. Police haven’t released cause of death yet.

Pease was a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division stationed at Fort Bragg.

Pease joined the Army in August 2006.

After completing basic training and Airborne school in Fort Benning, Ga., he served as an infantryman in Company A, 2nd Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team at Fort Bragg.

Pease was deployed to Iraq to serve in Operation Iraqi Freedom with the 82nd Airborne.

Pease served two tours in Iraq from March 2007 to October 2007, and from December 2008 to November 2009.

He has been decorated with the Army Commendation Medal with an oak leaf cluster, the Iraq Campaign Medal with a bronze star device, the Army National Defense Service Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, among others.

Pease was posthumously promoted from a specialist to sergeant.

“With his hard work, dedication, and loyalty to those with whom he served, (Pease) epitomized the word Paratrooper,” said Capt. Michael Orloff, commander of Company A, in the release. “He will be sorely missed.”

Christopher Owens, who said he is a long-time friend of Pease’s, said in an email Sunday he doesn’t yet know what happened to Pease or what caused his death.

Pease was drinking with a friend Saturday night, and the two were separated, Owens said in the email.

Police investigation into the incident is ongoing.

City Editor Jeanna Smialek contributed reporting.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.