Chapel Hill restaurants donate 10 percent of profits to IFC in RSVVP event

8147_1108_rsvvp_sweeneyf.jpg
First year marine science grad students Sara Coleman and John Paul Balmonte took a break from school work to eat at Buns to support "Dine Out" Restaurants participating in the program donate 10% of their profits to IFC shelters. They saw the event advertised in the newspaper and decided to come out. John Paul Balmonte said they chose Buns because "it's delicious and I love the curry mustard!"

In its 23rd year, the Interfaith Council for Social Service’s restaurant fundraising event Tuesday drew its largest crowd of participants yet.

This year 105 businesses participated in the “Restaurants Sharing Ten Percent” event, an increase from previous years, said John Dorward, associate director of the IFC.

The event, known as RSVVP, helps raise funds for the council’s food pantry and community kitchen by taking 10 percent of the participating restaurants’ proceeds during the day of the event.

“The restaurant owners are very aware that a lot of people are hungry,” Dorward said. “More signed up this year than last year.”

And in the face of increased demand and less outside funding, Dorward said events like RSVVP have become increasingly important for the organization.

“The government programs that used to be out there are getting smaller or going away,” he said.

This year, IFC hoped to reach its highest goal yet by raising $25,000 in donations.

But they won’t know the total amount raised until all restaurants send in their donations, which could take months, Dorward said.

George Ash, co-owner of Buns Burgers and Fries, said he normally doesn’t make donations, but decided to make an exception.

“This is a well put-together benefit night,” Ash said.

Elections, good weather and an increased publicity effort also helped make the event a success.

This year RSVVP fell on the same date as municipal elections, which Dorward said could have helped increase participation for the event.

“The fact that lots of people are out voting anyway should help turnout,” he said.

He said he thinks the council’s efforts to promote the event through various media outlets also helped increase turnout.

“I think we’ve done very well with publicity this year,” he said.

Dorward said he was surprised at the high level of restaurants who chose to participate, considering the poor economic state.

He said in the future, he will focus on working with local businesses, instead of relying on government programs for help.

And local restaurants say they will continue to support the event.

“I’ll do it every year until I no longer own this restaurant,” said Scott Cox, owner of the Carolina Coffee Shop.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.