Duke looks to make up for lost talent

Duke enters this season ranked No.6 even after losing more than half of last year’s offensive production.

In order to maintain that top 10 ranking, the Blue Devils will have to integrate some players into new roles.

Even as Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski approaches the record-breaking 903rd win, he faces the tough task of replacing Kyrie Irving, Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler.

“I think it’s an incredibly interesting year, and I still believe we can be very good,” Krzyzewski said. “We want to hopefully be able, be worthy enough to compete for a national championship, but we’ve got a longer road to go to get there.”

That longer road includes the process of breaking in two new starters who will have to replace the departed Singler, the fourth all-time leading scorer in Duke history, and Smith, ACC player of the year and a consensus first team All-American in 2011.

As part of the reloading effort, Krzyzewski recruited highly touted high school point guard Austin Rivers to replace Smith, who led the team in assists last season with 189. Rivers, son of NBA coach Doc Rivers, has already impressed his teammates with his commitment to improving his game.

“Austin works really hard. That’s a great trait that he has,” returning starting forward Ryan Kelly said. “We believe that by the time games start rolling in, he’s going to be a huge part of our team.”

Duke isn’t ranked sixth nationally for nothing.

Starters Kelly, Seth Curry and Mason Plumlee and bench players Andre Dawkins, Josh Hairston and Miles Plumlee are all returning this season.

Curry and Dawkins will look to continue the Duke offensive tradition of shooting well from 3-point land. The duo co-led the Blue Devils last season with 64 made 3-pointers. Additionally, Curry and Dawkins finished second and third on the team, respectively, in 3-point percentage last season behind Irving.

Another new addition to the Blue Devils is the third Plumlee brother, Marshall, who adds another 6-foot-11 body to Duke’s depth.

“It’s a lot of fun, especially off the court because I get to hang out with my little brother again,” Miles Plumlee said. “I think it just feels like home now.”

Kelly posted a strong showing during Duke’s summer preseason tour of China. Kelly scored 20 points in two of three games against the Chinese Olympic Team and recorded a double-double in the other game.

“I approached this summer as needing to get better every day to put myself in a position to be ready on that first day of practice to be a good player,” Kelly said.

Krzyzewski said specific player roles will continue to develop as the season gets underway.
“We have to maintain some flexibility in what we’re doing offensively,” Krzyzewski said. “We have enough talent. Now, will they believe in their talent? Will they develop their talent sufficiently to try to achieve those goals?”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.