Kenan Residence Hall receives recognition for energy conservation

For the second year in a row, a UNC residence hall was recognized for its energy conservation efforts.

Kenan Residence Hall recorded $8,000 in energy savings last year after taking advantage of motion sensor lighting and installing shower timers.

Last year, Morrison Residence Hall won the Environmental Protection Agency’s National Building Competition for reducing its energy consumption by 36 percent over the course of one year.

While Kenan didn’t win the overall award, it did beat two dormitory buildings at other universities nominated this year.

Rick Bradley, assistant director of the housing department, said Kenan’s efforts totaled a four percent decrease in energy consumption based on the EPA’s Energy Usage Index.

Resident advisors in Kenan said they decided to make conservation more of a priority after Morrison won the award last year.

The Kenan Community — which also includes Alderman, McIver and Spencer residence halls — implemented similar changes in all four buildings.

Adam Jutha, a resident advisor in Spencer Residence Hall, said he and other community leaders helped install shower timers and put up reminders for students to turn off lights when not in use.

“It’s really a matter of awareness,” Jutha said.

He said the residents have been receptive to the energy conservation efforts.

Jutha said for the building to make major strides in decreasing energy use, it would have to implement structural changes.

Last year, Morrison was able to save $250,000 in energy bills by improving its heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems and utilizing a new solar heating water system.

Jessica O’Hara, energy analyst for the University, said UNC will continue its focus on energy conservation.

This year, the overall competition winner was a parking garage at the University of Central Florida that recorded an approximate 63 percent reduction in energy consumption.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.