NC universities see increase in international students

For years, the UNC system has touted its high quality of education, and students from abroad have recently taken notice.

An influx of international students at universities in the state has begun to affect more than just enrollment numbers — prompting administrators to alter program offerings.

At N.C. State University, several graduate departments rely heavily on international student enrollment. More than 50 percent of the students enrolled in NCSU’s College of Textiles are from overseas, which helps keep the department afloat.

While UNC-system institutions are bound by law to cap their out-of-state undergraduate population at 18 percent, there is no such cap for graduate students.

“We have very few domestic students who are applying to these programs,” said Michael Bustle, director of international student services at NCSU.

Bustle said domestic students often decline to filter into these programs because they can find well-paying jobs with only an undergraduate degree.

According to data published this month by the Institute of International Education, North Carolina has the 17th-largest foreign student population in the nation with 12,824 students.

More than half of this population attends one of the Triangle-area universities. UNC-CH has the third-largest foreign student population in the state behind NCSU and Duke University.

An increase in international students from China has fueled the enrollment growth. At UNC-CH, the number of Chinese students increased from 264 in 2006 to 413 in 2010.

While UNC-system schools are bound by the undergraduate enrollment cap, other states are dissolving these limits.

Last year, the state of Colorado passed legislation that permits universities to no longer count foreign students toward their out-of-state enrollment caps, a move that will help the state’s universities with budget cuts.

Ken McConnellogue, spokesman for the University of Colorado system, said the anticipated increase in foreign student enrollment will confer several benefits on schools, including more tuition revenue and increased diversity.

“Anything we can do to take pressure off our budget in general. This is one way for us to do it,” he said.

Universities have responded by offering a number of programs to accommodate the increase in international students.

The UNC-CH Writing Center, which offers free tutoring to all students, has experienced a rise in the number of international students using its services. The center will offer a new intensive English language program for undergraduate international students during this summer’s Maymester.

“Internally, we haven’t changed the budget, but we have targeted our services toward international students,” said Gigi Taylor, an English language coordinator for the center.

NCSU began offering its Intensive English Program last year, a full-time program designed to help international undergraduate students meet English proficiency requirements before they officially enroll in the school.

Li-Chen Chin, director of the Duke International House, said in an email that the house has received more financial resources from the Division of Student Affairs this year to offer educational services and advocacy to foreign students.

Yuxin Liu, a junior business major at UNC-CH, said international students are attracted to U.S. schools because of their academic reputation.

“There are many options in China. We can choose other universities, like go to England or New Zealand,” she said. “America has the best education in the world.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.