Progress report: Cooper’s executive branch

The Cooper administration’s self-evaluation was released Monday in the form of its annual October report. It details progress in major platform areas and new projects. Though some projects are on their way to completion, others have stalled.

Student Enrichment Fund: On Schedule

Cooper’s platform outlines a fund students can apply for to attend off-campus conferences, seminars or lectures. No specific timeline for completion is listed.

Now the Student Enrichment Fund is online at www.unc.edu/studgov.
The first grant proposals were due Tuesday night.

The fund is supported by Mary Cooper and Zealan Hoover’s stipend checks, but Cooper’s team is seeking donors to continue support.

CCI printing: Stalled

Cooper proposed a large expansion of Carolina Computing Initiative printers both on campus and off.
Cooper’s platform said that by the October report’s release, printers would be installed. So far, printing services have expanded to Alumni Hall and Phillips Hall on North Campus.

Cooper’s plan to expand printing to Greek houses is experiencing technical difficulties involving the reach of wireless bandwith to off-campus houses.

Green revolving loan: On Schedule

Cooper said she would promote discussion about a revolving loan fund for renewable energy. The fund would invest money in an energy efficiency project. The money saved would be invested in another energy project, creating a cycle of investment. No specific timeline is listed.

The fund is in its developing stages after administrative approval. The environmental affairs committee is developing the project’s framework.

State legislative relations: On Schedule

Cooper’s platform aims to focus the Carolina Advocacy Committee, which lobbies for student interests, on tuition.

By October, Cooper planned to begin drafting advocacy proposals for reducing unnecessary fees and making the tuition process more transparent.

Cooper spent the summer lobbying for students at the state legislature.

Her advocacy listserv also included more than 1,000 students. She is planning focus groups on tuition.

CPR training: On Schedule

Cooper’s platform outlines a plan to add first aid training to lifetime fitness classes. No specific timeline for completion is included.

A program has been developed, and the UNC Red Cross Club will help with a spring pilot program by providing supplies and trainers. The pilot will include five LFIT sections totaling about 150 students. Cooper’s team is considering funding strategies and looking at how to hire and compensate trainers.

Flat-rate taxis: Behind Schedule

Cooper’s team planned to develop a flat-rate taxi system that any student with a One Card could use. Cooper said she would select a taxi company by August or September.

Cooper’s team presented a proposal for Chapel Hill and taxi companies to the Chapel Hill Town Council Oct. 10.

The town approved the proposal, sending it to committee. No action can be taken until Chapel Hill takes action on the project.