Spike Lee to visit UNC

8156_tylerperryvsspikeleef.jpg

Spike Lee

An Academy Award nominated director is coming to UNC to discuss his experiences as a black filmmaker in Hollywood.

The Carolina Union Activities Board announced Tuesday that director Spike Lee will be on campus Dec. 6.

Lee, who is expected to discuss his role in the progression of African American film culture and racism in the media, was selected by CUAB’s forum committee.

“We all agreed we wanted speakers with recognizable names who had interesting topics to discuss,” Tom Low, chairman of the committee, said in an email.

“Spike Lee fit that bill.”

The program — held at Memorial Hall — will be a question and answer lecture, CUAB president Cierra Hinton said.

Lee — best known for his 1989 film “Do The Right Thing,” set on the hottest day of the year in Brooklyn — has worked in documentary, television and feature film since the late 1970s.

He is also known for “Malcolm X,” “The 25th Hour” with Edward Norton and “Inside Man” with Denzel Washington.

Hinton said that CUAB is working with the journalism and communication studies departments to organize a meet-and-greet between Lee and their students.

By limiting access to the two departments, students will have a better chance to actually interact with Lee, making it a different experience than the open lecture, she said.

“These students would take advantage and learn some lessons and tips for when they’re entering the job field,” she said.

Hinton said the lecture should be entertaining and encouraging.

“Getting to where he is today was not an easy process for him,” she said. “We can get some life lessons from him.”

Low said that the event is contracted to cost $25,000. Student tickets will be $5.

CUAB receives one-third of student activities fees, about $13 per student per year. Their budget at the start of the school year was $364,000 before the homecoming concert, which was contracted to cost $40,000.

The Oct. 29 concert made little profit. Only 703 of 4,500 tickets were sold at $10-$15 per student.

Contact the Arts Editor
at arts@dailytarheel.com.