UNC professor advises African governments

Photo: UNC professor advises African governments (Wendy Lu)
Ashu Handa, a professor of public policy at UNC, advises African governments on social policy. He advises the governments of Zambia, Ghana, and Kenya.

When public policy professor Sudhanshu “Ashu” Handa stands in front of a class, he teaches more than just theory.

Handa has served as a regional adviser to governments around the world since 1998. He is currently working on cash transfer programs in three African countries — Ghana, Zambia and Kenya.

These programs provide regular monetary aid to poverty-stricken families with orphans or vulnerable children.

“I was born in Ghana and I lived in Africa for 25 years, so I have a great personal interest in Africa’s development,” Handa said.

Handa is evaluating the implementation and results of cash transfer programs. Based on his research findings, he will continue to make recommendations for improvement to the African countries.

Handa came to the University in 2003 after working for several years for the Inter-American Development Bank in Washington, D.C.

He began his work in Africa as a social policy adviser for the United Nations Children’s Fund in 2007 when he took a leave of absence from UNC.

Carolyn Huang, a doctoral student studying public policy, accompanied Handa to Kenya over the summer.

There, Huang and Handa led research assessing the link between cash transfer programs and the risk of HIV in youth.

“Working with professor Handa is a privilege,” Huang said.

“He really tries to understand the best ways to promote growth in his students and he is always willing to help them when they need it.”

Handa said he uses data to show how the cash transfer programs can grow and improve and how governments can use them more effectively.

“We can use economic and statistical tools to solve these practical problems, things that governments can use to address poverty in their countries.”

He said studies show these programs have a positive impact on things such as diet diversity and education in impoverished parts of the world.

Michael Park, a graduate research assistant studying health policy, is working with Handa on Ghana’s cash transfer program.

Park said Handa’s work will help governments better understand the social and economic impact of such programs.

“Working with Ashu is the type of mentoring experience we all dream about in doctoral programs,” Park said.

“He is very forgiving of my mistakes and takes the time to help me understand the underlying fundamentals of our work and also the practical applications.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.