UNC swimming teams undefeated in conference play

Coming into Saturday’s swim meet against Maryland’s undefeated women’s team, North Carolina swimming coach Rich DeSelm was worried about the stiff competition.

“We knew that the women’s meet was likely going to be the one that had a chance to be a challenge,” DeSelm said.

But it quickly proved to be nothing to worry about.

With scores of 180-119 and 178-121 respectively, the Tar Heel men’s and women’s teams won their home openers to remain undefeated in conference play.

“I never really felt that the meet was going to be anything we couldn’t handle after the first half,” DeSelm said.

After the first 14 events, the meet seemed to be decided for both the men and the women. The men had dropped just one of their first seven events, while the women had won five of seven.

Before the meet began, members of the 1972 women’s swimming and diving team — the first at North Carolina — were honored as part of the alumni weekend festivities. The meet was dedicated to the 40th anniversary of that team.

The North Carolina teams started the meet in convincing fashion with the help of seniors Steve Cebertowicz and Laura Moriarty.

Cebertowicz swam the last leg of the men’s 200-yard medley relay in 19.91 to seal the win in a race that was tight when he dove into the pool.

“You get a lot of momentum off the relay start. There’s a lot more excitement around relays, especially if it’s a close relay,” Cebertowicz said.

Cebertowicz also won the 50-yard freestyle for the fifth time in five meets this year. He also posted a second place time in the 200-yard freestyle and swam in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Moriarty won all three of her individual events — the 100-yard backstoke, the 200-yard breaststroke and the 400-yard individual medley — by large margins.

She also competed with her teammates in the 200-yard medley relay.

“I still have a lot of technical, small stuff I have to work on,” Moriarty said.

“I just want to make a statement as a senior on the team.”

Redshirt senior diver David MacDonald won both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events, posting his season-best score on the 3-meter board against the Terrapins.

Each time Maryland won consecutive events, a North Carolina freshman swimmer stopped its momentum with a convincing win.

“The fact that they can step up their first semester and have a leadership role, getting their hand on the wall first … is clearly impactful,” DeSelm said.

With a time of 1:47.63, North Carolina freshman Dominick Glavich posted his season-best time in the 200-yard butterfly to win the 12th event of the day, and freshman Patrick Myers won the 200-yard backstroke with a stellar time of 1:49.93.

“I had big goals for myself. I still do,” Glavich said.

With the set of wins, both the North Carolina men’s and women’s swimming teams moved to 4-1 on the season and 3-0 in conference play.

“We’re doing pretty good this year,” Cerbertowicz said.

Maryland was the last ACC opponent for the UNC swimming and diving teams this side of New Year’s Day. UNC returns to action Nov. 17 in the Nike Cup.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.