UNC women’s basketball opens season with a pair of wins

At the start of every basketball season, it’s common for a top program to schedule up-and-coming teams to gauge its position before it enters the tougher slate of conference games.

This year is no different for the UNC women’s basketball team.

No. 20 North Carolina (2-0) got off to an expected good start, handling Gardner-Webb (0-1) 109-44 on Saturday and University of South Carolina Upstate (0-2) 91-34 on Sunday at Carmichael Arena.

In the first game, senior forward Laura Broomfield and senior center Chay Shegog both recorded double-doubles. Broomfield had 15 points and 14 rebounds, while Shegog controlled the paint with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Freshman guard Megan Buckland, starting in her first career game, added 17 points.

“I’m just happy with the mentality I’m having this year — not taking the early games off,” Broomfield said. “I’m happy with the way I’m playing right now.”

The second game was more of the same for the Tar Heels.

Entering the matchup, North Carolina knew that USC Upstate wasn’t a conference rival. It was important, however, for the Tar Heels not to take the Atlantic Sun member lightly.

“You just gotta stay focused … work on the little things that are gonna help you beat teams like (Duke and Miami),” Broomfield said.

UNC started the game on an 8-0 run and never looked back. North Carolina’s size and speed were simply too much for the Spartans.

Senior guard She’la White dictated the pace of the game, and Shegog had her way inside. Shegog was on the bench for the entire second half, as UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell did not want to risk an injury in the lopsided game.

“It’s fun because we have so many good things happening. We got a lot of talent,” Hatchell said. “They’re very unselfish, just playing hard, getting after it defensively. We’re just gonna continue to get better and better.”

The Tar Heels shot 54.8 percent from the field and 44.4 percent from behind the arc.

Leading UNC in 3-point shooting was freshman guard Brittany Rountree, who made three of her six 3-point attempts in her first career collegiate start.

“I played hard and just attacked on both ends,” Rountree said. “It’s an honor (to make my first start). It motivates me to work even harder.”

Hatchell was pleased with the improved shooting from deep.

“We’re a much better 3-point shooting team than we were last year,” she said. “We got like five kids who can really shoot the three.”

North Carolina possesses an equal balance of youth and experience, a combination Hatchell said is key moving forward.

While the seniors Shegog, White and Broomfield provided leadership, redshirt freshman guard Shannon Smith and true freshmen guards Buckland, Rountree and Danielle Butts were all significant contributors in the weekend’s games.

“They’re a good bunch. They enjoy each other. They’re having fun,” Hatchell said. “They’re excited about the season.”

Contact the Sports Editor