Redistricting caused by construction of Elementary 11 could relieve uneven distribution of low-income students

The redistricting caused by the construction of Elementary 11 might relieve the uneven distribution of low-income students in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools system.

But some believe spreading out the students is not a good idea.

Carrboro Elementary School’s large population of low-income students — many of whom are Hispanic — should stay, said Emily Bivins, principal of the school.

“I support a clustering of students, even if it means the percent of poor students is disproportionate to other schools, for the purpose of dual language,” she said.

The dual language program offered at the school involves teaching native English and Spanish speakers together. Classes are taught in different languages throughout the day.

Bivins said dual language classes close the achievement gap for Spanish speakers by more than 50 percent.

According to data from the district’s applications for federal funding, 38 percent of the school’s students received free or reduced lunch in 2010, second only to Frank Porter Graham Elementary, where 42 percent of students received free or reduced lunch.

Maria Arbiol, administrative intern and dual language teacher at Carrboro Elementary School, said her school is unique in its ability to help low-income residents.

The school has a book fair that returns its profits to low-income students by giving them a free book, a program where teachers and parents donate holiday presents to needy students and food drives during the holidays.

“Parents are aware of local programs and ask about getting involved,” Arbiol said. “We try to make sure they get what they need from us.”

Carrboro Elementary School also employs 15 dual language teachers to serve its Spanish-speaking population.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Seawell Elementary had no dual language teachers — and only 6 percent Hispanic students compared to Carrboro’s 22 percent in 2010. Only 15 percent of Seawell students were on free and reduced lunch in 2010.

“The sense of haves and have-nots seems wide,” Bivins said.

But not all parents believe groups should be clustered.

Renée Van Raay, former PTA president at Frank Porter Graham Elementary School, said she believes clustering is unfair.

“I think it would be more equitable to have the schools all fairly balanced,” Van Raay said.

She said it could be taxing on a school to have a large number of lower income students.

But Julie Keane, PTA president at Carrboro Elementary, supports the distribution because of the dual language program.

“We need these kids to make the program strong,” she said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.