Candelight Home Tour highlights holidays, history in Hillsborough

For a quarter of a century, Hillsborough has showcased its history and its holiday spirit through its annual Candlelight Home Tour — and this Sunday, the tradition continues.

The tour, which will allow attendees to see eight historical homes that range from hundreds of years to just one year old, as well as other public buildings, is just one of several events Hillsborough hosts to celebrate the season.

Margaret Cannell, executive director of the Hillsborough/Orange County Chamber of Commerce, said the candlelight tour usually draws a crowd of about 600 people.

“It’s a way for the community to remember the history of these houses, that they’ve been here and Hillsborough’s been here for such a long time,” said Brandie Fields, executive director of the Orange County Historical Museum, which will also be on the candlelight tour.

The tour will highlight the work of Hillsborough brick mason John Berry and the homes he built and contributed to, including Burnside, the Ruffin-Hill House and the Berry Brick House.

“Hillsborough is very proud of its history and a lot of that has to do with its architecture,” said Hillsborough Mayor Tom Stevens. “Some of the nicest homes in Hillsborough are open and certainly decorated for the holidays.”

The tour will also visit churches and other public buildings. It will feature live music by hand bell choirs and school choral groups.

Cannell said the tour will offer carriage rides this year, a feature that has been popular in the past.

Last year, a draw of the tour was the contrast between the ages of the historic homes, she said.

Two of the oldest homes were built around 1750, while the newest house on display was completed in 2010, Cannell said. This year’s houses continue the age contrast, with about a 150-year age gap.

But the tour is just one of Hillsborough’s holiday events.

This year, other attractions will include a town tree lighting today, a gingerbread house contest and a holiday parade Saturday.

“From the parade last year, we served cocoa here at the site and we did children’s activities and we watched the parade come down,” said Rebecca Ryan, director of the Historic Hillsborough Commission — one of the stops on the candlelight tour.

“It gets everyone in the holiday spirit.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.