Mipso Trio, Mandolin Orange and Travis Porter to perform tonight

Tonight’s multi-concert lineup is not an LDOC celebration.

Though it is the last day of classes for the semester, Marquise Hudson, chairman of the performing arts committee of the Carolina Union Activities Board, said that the back-to-back concerts are just a coincidence.

Local folk groups Mipso Trio and Mandolin Orange will perform first, starting at 7 p.m. in Historic Playmakers Theatre.

Georgia-based rap group Travis Porter will continue the night, starting at 10:30 p.m. in the Student Union Great Hall.

Both events are sponsored by CUAB, which receives a third of student activities fees, or $13 per student per year.

“I feel like it worked out even better — people (will) have variety,” Hudson said.

Local folk

Appalachian-inspired folk group Mipso Trio and self-described “folk-country” duo Mandolin Orange were originally scheduled to play at the beginning of the semester, but the free Aug. 26 concert was canceled due to weather conditions.

Because both bands originated in Chapel Hill, CUAB wanted to reschedule the concert and give them a chance to perform, said Cierra Hinton, CUAB president.

“When we were looking for an act, I thought (they) would be great because they are local and it’d be a great way to introduce first years to the local music scene,” she said.

Freshman Lauren Fuller said she has seen Mipso Trio perform and is excited to see them again.

“I’m from the mountains, so I like a lot of acoustic and folk music,” she said.

Hinton said the groups were going to play in the Great Hall, but requested to play at Historic Playmakers Theatre. CUAB then had to shift the schedule to make sure the theater was available.

Hinton said the type of music they play matches the atmosphere of the theater, completed in 1851.

“They just liked the feel,” she said. “They think it’s a great venue and we totally agree.”

Bringing back the party

Rap group Travis Porter’s performance was announced Nov. 21 with a tweet from Hudson.

Hinton said the concert is an effort to revitalize a Great Hall tradition.

Fraternities and sororities used to rent out the Great Hall for parties often, but the tradition died off a few years ago, Hudson said.

The last Great Hall party was in January 2010, Hinton said.

Originally, the concert and dance party were scheduled for Dec. 2, but Travis Porter was only available for Dec. 7.

The concert — which was contracted to cost $14,000 — sold out its 600 tickets by the second day of sales. Hudson said in an earlier interview that CUAB would bring in about $9,000 if all tickets were sold.

The event will last until 2 a.m.

“It’s like going out, but you’re just going to the Union,” Hudson said.

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.