No. 1 Kentucky beats UNC 73-72

8569_srh_5429f.jpg

Kentucky fans cheer on the Cats during pregame warm-ups in Rupp Arena.

LEXINGTON, KY — With seven seconds left, 6-foot-10 John Henson lifted off the ground for what would be the game-winning jumper against Kentucky.

But just as the ball was released from his hands, Kentucky freshman forward Anthony Davis’ long reach got a piece of Henson’s shot, and took a piece of North Carolina’s heart.

No. 1 Kentucky escaped its biggest scare of the year, beating No. 5 UNC 73-72 at Rupp Arena in one of the best college basketball games this season.

The Wildcats (8-0) led by as many as four points with 1:33 left in the game following two Michael Kidd-Gilchrist free throws. But UNC (6-2) drew within one following a Reggie Bullock 3-pointer from the corner.

UNC led by as many as nine in the first half and six in the second half, but the guard combination of Kidd-Gilchrist, Darius Miller and Doron Lamb proved too much for the Tar Heels as the home team moved away from its bigs and put the ball in the hands of their backcourt.

Harrison Barnes, who got into foul trouble early and had to sit out the final six minutes of first half, finished with 14 points on 5-of-12 shooting. Barnes said after the game he was expecting the ball on the final possession.

Tyler Zeller, who also finished with 14 points, instead got the ball in the post and was stripped. The ball fell into the hands of Henson, who opted for a jumper.

The Wildcats were led by Kidd-Gilchrist’s 17 points and 11 rebounds.

UNC shot lights-out in the first half, going 48.4 percent from the field and hitting six 3-pointers. The Tar Heels went 11-for-18 from behind the arc compared to Kentucky’s 4-for-17.

The Tar Heels now return home to play a nine-game homestand after playing back-to-back top-10 teams.