The possibility for additional sanctions for the UNC football program still exists after a year-long investigation has finally reached its end.

Chancellor Holden Thorp and former athletic director Dick Baddour were among a small group of individuals that represented North Carolina in front of the NCAA Committee on Infractions on Oct. 28.

But any penalties the NCAA decides to hand down will compound the self-imposed sanctions UNC instituted in its response letter to the committee.

On Sept. 19, the University released its response to the nine major allegations from the NCAA and within the response the university addressed each of the allegations and outlined self-imposed regulations.

The NCAA alleged that a former tutor for the football program, Jennifer Wiley, provided both impermissible academic assistance to multiple players and provided $3,500 worth of benefits to student athletes, including parking ticket expenses, an airline ticket and free tutoring.

The NCAA said that former associate head football coach John Blake was given $31,000 by Pro Tect Management for encouraging players to sign with agent Gary Wichard. Blake also did not provide relevant information to investigators, the NCAA said.

The notice of allegations also noted that seven UNC football players accepted more than $27,000 in benefits from several different individuals.

The NCAA held the University responsible for some of the exchange of impermissible benefits, alleging that UNC failed to properly monitor the program’s relationship with former Tar Heel Chris Hawkins, an individual the NCAA views as an agent.

In the University’s response, it said that all allegations were substantially correct, except for the one alleging that the University failed to monitor the social networking activities of the football players.

The University instituted a new social media policy alongside other strict self-imposed sanctions regarding wins and grants-in-aid.

The football program vacated all wins from the 2008 and 2009 seasons and decreased the number of scholarships by nine over a three-year period. The University also issued itself a fine of $50,000.

The decision by the Committee of Infractions is still pending, but according to NCAA.org, it typically takes between six and eight weeks to write the report and announce penalties, although complicating factors could extend that time frame.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.