Carolina Creates’ ‘Battle of the Songwriters’ showcases talent on campus

Correction (1/10/2012, 4:51 p.m.): The story below was originally printed misidentifying freshman Tyler Bryant as another musician named Tyler Bryant. UNC’s Tyler Bryant was not featured on “Guitar Hero 5” and has not performed with Aerosmith or B.B. King. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Freshman Tyler Bryant once placed first, second and third in his high school’s battle of the bands.

At today’s “Battle of the Songwriters,” an event hosted by Carolina Creates in the Student Union, he’ll be playing two original songs, in hopes of another win.

In the contest, a dozen songwriters will each perform two original songs. The winner, determined by a poll on the Carolina Creates Facebook page, will headline a show at Jack Sprat Cafe.

Carolina Creates is a branch of Chancellor Holden Thorp’s Innovate@Carolina, an initiative aimed at cultivating creativity and innovation on campus.

The group arose from a consolidation of less successful art-advocacy programs.

Former Student Body President Hogan Medlin led the Arts Innovation Steering Committee, a year-long policy workshop with many of the University’s high-ranking artistic figures.

The plan stalled after Medlin graduated, and Carolina Creates came together.

Carolina Creates is subdivided into the categories of art, music, writing and global initiatives, said David August, director of Carolina Creates Music.

“These organizations aim to make UNC more vibrant by showcasing the talent of students,” he said.

Bryant has been playing guitar and writing original songs for the past six years. Though he’s played in several bands, he said higher education is important to him.

“UNC was a pretty obvious choice for me considering the school’s academic prestige, lively social community and vibrant music scene,” he said.

“If something too good to pass up comes along for me in terms of music, it’s more likely that I’ll find it here than pretty much anywhere else in the state.”

But Bryant said there’s another motive for his college attendance.

“My parents pretty much told me I had to go to college right now if I don’t want to die poor and lonely,” he said.

Sophomore Peter Vance will also compete in the competition.

He plays in an indie folk band called Morning Brigade. The band features Vance and four other UNC students.

“We will hopefully do some touring over the summer and get bigger events, but we know we’re still small and working our way up,” he said.

August said he understands the struggle of balancing student life and music.

“Students are busy, so it’s hard to find the time to forge your own way to make a name for yourself as a musician on the side,” he said.

He said he hopes Carolina Creates will help foster creative flow in students and allow them to further their creative aspirations.

“The talent already exists,” August said. “Carolina Creates just gives the students opportunities to make their talents available and visible to the rest of the student body.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.