Pat McCrory announces his second run for governor

10389_0201_mccrory_williamsf.jpg

Pat McCrory officially announces that he is running in the race for North Carolina governor on Tuesday in Greensboro. He narrowly lost to Bev Perdue in the 2008 election and is the frontrunner in the upcoming election.

Beaming from cheers of the standing-room-only crowd, former Charlotte mayor Pat McCrory confirmed Tuesday in Greensboro what everyone in attendance already knew: he’s in. Again.

McCrory, a Republican who narrowly lost to Gov. Bev Perdue in 2008, has positioned himself as the frontrunner in the state gubernatorial race.

Campaign finance reports show that he raised about $2.6 million and has about $2 million in cash on hand.

A statewide survey released Monday by Public Policy Polling, a left-leaning organization based in Raleigh, found that McCrory garnered more support from voters than any of 13 hypothetical Democratic challengers.

The Democratic Party was sent scrambling after Perdue recently announced she would not seek re-election.

Rep. Bill Faison, D-Orange, and Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton have already entered the Democratic primary, while former UNC-system President Erskine Bowles has remained silent about a potential run.

“I am proud to return back home, to officially announce that I will run for governor,” McCrory told a crowded room of supporters. “We’re going to fix this broken economy here in North Carolina.”

Borrowing a line from his campaign song — The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” — McCrory said that for too long in North Carolina the new boss has been the same as the old boss.

“I don’t want to be your boss,” he said. “I want to be your governor.”

McCrory said Perdue has left a broken government that’s been an embarrassment to the state.

“FBI investigations, felony convictions, plea bargains, pay-to-play fundraising, tuition hikes, fired chancellors, higher drop-out rate, unfunded liabilities, crony appointments,” he said. “The list goes on and on and on.”

Brenda Formo, a retired Army colonel and president of Greater Greensboro Republican Women’s Club, says she came to support McCory because of his strong business background.

“We need a Republican to turn things around,” she said. “He knows how to grow businesses, how to create businesses, which is cutting red tape.”

Some of the ideas McCrory mentioned were creating jobs in the state through spending cuts, the opening of energy exploration and reversing mandates and regulations he says put strains on small businesses.

McCrory said his campaign will also focus on improving education, his original passion.

“I want to set up a pay system that rewards the best teachers,” he said. “And we know who they are.”

“Maybe after I finish my job as governor, I’ll get a real promotion and become a teacher.”

Ruth Revel, McCrory’s high school drama teacher, whose eyes barely peered over the podium, told the crowd that she knew back then he was destined to be a star.

“Pat had swagger,” she said.

After the speech, Formo said McCrory hit all the right notes.

“We’re going to win,” she said, and walked away smiling through the energized crowd.

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.