Protesters rally to fight enforcement of town ordinances at Peace and Justice Plaza.

10369_0130_homelessness_hullf.jpg
People gather to protest "arbitrary ordinances that restrict our liberty and human rights." (see paper). Their gathering was illegal because it was on a Sunday (this is unlawful).

Occupy protesters held a rally Sunday to demand Peace and Justice Plaza remain a place for free speech.

The protest was in response to an email sent Jan. 18 by Town Manager Roger Stancil that called for ordinances to be enforced that might limit the movement’s presence.

Stancil said the town opted to ignore ordinances the protesters broke during their three-month encampment.

Those rules included requiring permits for use of the space, limiting the time the space could be used by the same organization, banning camping on public property overnight and affixing signs to public buildings.

He said in the future the town should try to enforce its rules.

“The group’s decision to vacate the Plaza presents a timely opportunity for us to consider enforcement of adopted ordinances,” Stancil said in the email to town council members.

But protesters said they are still occupying the plaza by holding several meetings each week — though their encampment has ended — and they believe ordinances limiting future protests violate their rights.

One sign held by a protester listening to speakers at the rally read, “The first amendment is our permit.”

At the protest, speakers from Occupy discussed a range of issues focused on free speech, performed a play and sang.

Andy Koch, a UNC Students for a Democratic Society member who spoke at the rally, said the ordinances restricted free speech.

“Our voice is being pushed out of the way by ordinances, by police,” he said.

Protester Alex Berkman said from its start, the movement has valued constitutional rights more than town restrictions.

“What was important was that we were asserting our rights as citizens,” he said.

Protesters also questioned Stancil’s stance on enforcement.

“I think he’s exerting his influence a little too strongly,” protester Alex Kotch said.

Berkman said Town Council hasn’t stood up for occupiers.

“They’re clearly out of touch with the town.”

Contact the City Editor

at city@dailytarheel.com.