Tar Heels deliver from long range against Georgia Tech

10365_0130_bball2_wangf.jpg

When Dexter Strickland tore his ACL, North Carolina knew its defense would take a hit.

But what the Tar Heels miss on defense, they make up for with more minutes for more accomplished 3-point shooters.

In Sunday’s game against Georgia Tech, those increased minutes turned into more production from long range.

The Tar Heels drained 10 3-pointers on a season-high 62.5 percent 3-point shooting rate in their 93-81 victory against the Yellow Jackets.

UNC started the game with a bang from deep, hitting three 3-pointers before the first timeout.

“Dexter has the ability to attack,” coach Roy Williams said. “Reggie (Bullock) and P.J. (Hairston) have an ability to attack, but it’s from the 3-point line.

“We’re good shooters, we really are. I’ve said the whole time that … when we started making them, it would make things even a lot prettier.”

Five Tar Heels sunk long-range shots, including backup point guard Stilman White. The freshman used a hesitation move that took Pierre Jordan to the ground and then nailed a three from the top.

The basket caused a roar in the Smith Center crowd.

“I think they want to see the short white boy go out and hit a shot,” White said.

Watching shots find the bottom of the net was a long-awaited sight for the Tar Heels. UNC entered the game shooting just 24.7 percent from deep in ACC play.

It was especially welcome for Hairston, who was shooting 4-of-24 from three in conference. Hairston was more patient Sunday, which allowed him to hit two of his four attempts.

Bullock was 3-for-6 on 3-pointers and Harrison Barnes was good on all three of his tries.

“We just straightened up our shots and were able to knock them down,” Bullock said. “Kendall (Marshall), looking up the floor, tells us to run to our spot, and he’ll find us.”

Finishing the shots helped Marshall to 12 assists. The guard joined the 3-ball group too, netting one on the first possession.

Taking and making, the first 3-pointer of the game is something not many expected.

“I think middle school was the last time that happened,” Marshall said.

UNC’s defensive play set up open shots from long range. Many of the shots were made when the Yellow Jackets struggled to find shooters in transition.

“When we have an advantage going down there, they have to make a choice if they want to stop me, stop the bigs or stop the wings,” Marshall said. “They kept leaving the wings open.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.