Yates building raid to be further investigated

8753_0110_occupy_conwayf.jpg
Occupy Chapel Hill marches to protest Chapel Hill Town Manager Roger Stancil's report excusing the police eviction of the occupied Yates building in November.

Residents and Occupy Chapel Hill members joined Monday night to protest a town report that expressed support for what many called violent police action during the Yates Motor Company break-up.

Protesters, who marched from the Occupy Chapel Hill/Carrboro camp in Peace and Justice Plaza to a Town Council meeting at town hall, criticized the official report — and after much discussion, the council decided to investigate further, but not to support an independent review.

The event at the center of the controversy occurred in early November, when a group of “Occupy Everywhere” protesters took over the abandoned Yates Motor Company building on Franklin Street. A team of police wielding assault rifles broke up the protesters — who are separate from the Occupy Chapel Hill/Carrboro group — citing a safety threat.

On Friday, Town Manager Roger Stancil released a review of that action. Protesters said the review, which drew conclusions based on police reports and other official statements, didn’t go far enough to establish what happened. Many disagreed with Stancil’s conclusion that the force police used was justified.

“They’re taking no responsibility for their actions,” protester Justin Jacobs said. “They need to apologize.”

Resident Jim Neal had proposed a review carried out solely by residents — several town officials sit on the community policing advisory committee tasked with the review — and many supported the call.

The appeal eventually failed, with some saying that Neal himself would be unable to lead an objective review.

But council members said they did lack information about the event both at the time and now, and more information is needed.

Carrboro Board of Aldermen member Dan Coleman investigated the break-up for a review of the Mutual Aid Agreement between Chapel Hill and Carrboro’s police departments, and his findings prompted discussion about inconsistencies.

In one instance, Coleman said his research suggested police did not communicate that Occupiers should leave prior to the raid.

But Town Manager Roger Stancil stated in his review that a town task force determined police were unable to communicate with building occupiers, despite two attempts.

“I think the reports we got over the weekend — there may be some inconsistencies there,” Councilman Gene Pease said.

“But I don’t know why we would create another committee at this point.”

The Council decided to have the policing advisory committee investigate farther.

Stancil’s report did determine that the incident showed a need for new media relations policy.

The council discussed the possibility of apologizing to journalists who were handcuffed outside of the Yates building.

After initial resolutions failed, the council eventually voted to issue a formal apology “to the press.”

Police have also drafted a new media relations policy that specifies how reporters and police should interact at crime scenes and incident locations.

The Herald-Sun and WCHL have endorsed the policy, according to the report.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.