3 pairs run for senior class co-presidents

Three pairs of candidates are running for senior class co-presidents, hoping to represent their peers — and have a good time — in their last year at UNC.

Dean Drescher, current senior class co-president, said the role requires creating social events and network events for seniors.

“We are responsible for making sure that we reach out to seniors and have events for just them,” she said.

The co-presidents also serve on the commencement speaker committee and the General Alumni Association’s board of directors.

Chan and Palmer

When Nora Chan arrived at UNC, one of the first people she befriended was Tim Palmer.

Palmer, a business administration major, and Chan, a journalism major, thought they could use their experiences to represent the senior class.

“We’re a good balance because he is from in-state and I’m from out-of-state,” Chan said. “I think we can relate to a lot of different types of people.”

Palmer and Chan hope to have an ‘80s-themed dance in the Smith Center so seniors can celebrate their last year.

“The dance would also benefit the Dance Marathon, and it would be a fun event,” Chan said.

Palmer said in an email that he hopes to compile a calendar of events for the fall semester.

Fox and Mafe

Brennan Fox and Sarah Mafe met freshman year as members of the General Alumni Association, and now they want to lead the class of 2013.

Fox said he and Mafe, a global studies major, want to move senior week from the week before finals to the week after.

“We have an extra week between exams and graduation, and a lot of underclassmen will be gone then,” he said.

“The seniors can take over Chapel Hill and really bond their last week together.”

Mafe said they aim to strengthen the senior class and still have fun.

“Carolina has done so much for us, so we want to leave our stamp as a whole and show the other classes how it’s done.”

Jutha and Kaminer

Friends since freshman year, Adam Jutha and Sarah Kaminer used their differences to reach a common goal.

Jutha, a health policy and management major, and Kaminer, a nursing major, are running to help their class succeed after graduation, they said.

“She is from North Carolina, and I’m an international student, so we can reach out to in-state and out-of-state students,” said Jutha, who also serves as student body secretary.

He said they hope to create networking dinners where students can connect with University officials and talk about their careers.

Kaminer said she wants seniors to enjoy their last year while also preparing for the future.

“I think the critical role of senior officers is to unify the class of 2013 and provide a springboard from UNC into the post-grad world,” she said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.