A recent letter in The Daily Tar Heel entitled, “Learn about the Risks of N.C. Amendment One,” makes a very serious misconception of the amendment.

It omits half of the text of the amendment, which reads: “Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This section does not prohibit a private party from entering into contracts with another private party; nor does this section prohibit courts from adjudicating the rights of private parties pursuant to such contracts.”

Multiple legal sources have reviewed Amendment One and concluded that it would not prohibit the extension of benefits to same-sex partners.

Over the past few weeks, we have seen the fight between President Obama and the Catholic Church over contraception coverage play out at the federal level. If homosexual marriage was legal, why would the radical left not go after religious groups who provide adoption services, and force them to allow homosexual couples to adopt children? Religious liberty stands at the core of this great nation, and it needs to be protected. Amendment One aids in that protection.

Across the country, we have seen activist judges time and again decide whether homosexual marriage should be legal or not. This Amendment takes power away from the bench and gives it back to the people.

Brendan Madigan ’14
Public policy