Be my Valentine's song?

10637_screen_shot_20120209_at_3.28.25_pmf.jpg

Whether you’re in a relationship or living the single life, Dive has songs that will make your heart croon on Valentine’s Day.

Sour:
‘Long Flight’ by Future Islands

Cheating is one of the best ways to break a heart. This track laments going away and expecting to come back to open arms — but instead being met with infidelity.

‘Song for the Dumped’ by Ben Folds Five

Sometimes we take the high road when relationships end and we act maturely. This is not a song for that. If you’re dumped and feeling bitter about it, let this one be your anthem.

‘Friendly Fire’ by Sean Lennon

Lennon wrote this after his girlfriend cheated on him with his best friend, who died in a motorcycle crash before he and Lennon reconciled. This song is where the hurt comes to a head.

‘No Children’ by the Mountain Goats

John Darnielle revels in sincere snark through the whole song with lines like “I hope I lie/And tell everyone you were a good wife.”

‘Lament’ by Mount Moriah

There are times when the best thing for a relationship is for it to end, and there’s nothing to stop it from happening. Heather McEntire sums it up perfectly: “The heart can’t keep trying to love something it doesn’t.”

‘Crash the Party’ by OK Go

OK Go nails the Anti V-Day vibe on this track. “To hell with chocolates, and picnics and Sinatra tunes,” sings Damien Kulash. Like so many, he’s sick of the Valentine’s Day shenanigans, too.

‘Fight Test’ by The Flaming Lips

We’ve all got the “one who got away,” the one who we let slip by for whatever reason. Wayne Coyne sings about how yes, you can be too cool, and how you can end up being miserable because of it.

‘Somebody More Like You’ by Nickel Creek

This tune contains one of the best bitter lines around: “I hope you meet someone your height/So you can see eye to eye/With someone as small as you.” Ouch.

‘Let the Door Knob Hit Ya’ by Buddy Guy

Buddy Guy may be well into his 70s, but he’s still plenty sassy. He adds injury to insult: “Get out, and let the doorknob hit you on the way.”

‘Darling’ by People Eating People

Bothered with someone who thinks they’re hot stuff but in actuality kind of sucks? Dedicate this tune to them.

Sweet:
‘The Temptation of Adam’ by Josh Ritter

Ritter’s songwriting shines with this tune that tells a tale of true love during the apocalypse. His story is poignant and sweet without being over-the-top.

‘Bold as Love’ by Jimi Hendrix

Love can be scary, exhilarating and awesome all at once. It can bring out our brightest, our darkest and everything in between. But like a rainbow, all of the pieces together are what make it beautiful.

‘Hope You Know’ by Megafaun

Long distance relationships are tough, but Megafaun’s got you covered. This soothing song is a reassurance that, no matter the distance, love will always find a way to stay.

‘Mirrorball’ by Elbow

On this track, Guy Garvey captures the “love of your life” sentiment. The gentle melody swells as Garvey croons exquisite lines about love and how beautiful it makes the world.

‘Jungle Drum’ by Emiliana Torrini

Catchy and cute, “Jungle Drum” is about that familiar heart pounding that comes with being in love. Torrini celebrates that crazy feeling with a quick beat and a rhythm section that skips along like a love-struck heart.

‘Baby You’re My Light’ by Richard Hawley

Hawley’s song serves as a good reminder — a long hug reminding you of the fact that love means having someone who takes you for your insecurities and all, no matter what.

‘Summertime Clothes’ by Animal Collective ‘First Day of My Life’ by Bright Eyes

“This is the first day of my life/I swear I was blind before I met you,” wails Conor Oberst on this indie rock staple. It’s all about opening yourself up and realizing how special someone is to you.

‘Something in Your Smile’ by Dizzy Gillespie

With that special someone, you inevitably find the little things about them that are totally irresistible. Gillespie jazzes up Tony Bennett’s original, making it the perfect tender slow-dance tune.

‘Lover’ by Devendra Banhart

This one’s a good one if you’re all about the sentimental stuff but feel a little frisky, too. Banhart takes a sort-of subtle route here to make a song that’s fun and a little freaky.