Carrboro gets new town manager

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen announced the appointment of David Andrews as the new Carrboro town manager Tuesday.

“It’s been moved and seconded with enthusiasm,” Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton said at a Board of Aldermen meeting.

Andrews has worked for more than 20 years in local government, Chilton said.

Andrews is currently assistant town manager in the Town of Paradise Valley, which is near Phoenix.

“He has very strong experience in all the areas we care about,” alderman Dan Coleman said.

Prior to that, Andrews served as Oro Valley, Ariz. town manager for three years, according to his LinkedIn account.

Andrews resigned in 2009, setting off a flurry of media speculation as to why.

But alderwoman Randee Haven-O’Donnell said he is well qualified for Carrboro’s position and was looking for a more progressive town.

Andrews will move to Carrboro by March 15 to take up his new position.

Andrews will replace Matt Efird, who has served as interim town manager since Aug. 1.

Efird took the post after former town manager Steve Stewart announced his retirement in April and officially stepped down, following eight years of service.

Chilton said there was a selection process of 15 phone interviews and three in-person interviews with candidates.

“While there were many outstanding applicants for this job, we believe unanimously that the best choice to lead our town government in the future on the staff side will be Mr. David Andrews,” Chilton said, adding that each board member has met with Andrews and approves.

Chilton apologized for taking time at the beginning of the meeting for the board to privately discuss the appointment.

“This is the absolute top priority for the town government,” he said.

The town hired Springsted Inc., a consulting firm from Richmond, Va., to conduct the search. The group both recruited and interviewed candidates.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.