Civil rights activist Reagon shares history through ‘songtalk’

Reagon presents ‘songtalk’ on civil rights history

10836_0221_reagon_umasankarf.jpg
Dr. Reagon, a professor at American University, speaks at the Stone Center on February 20. Her lecture involved celebrating Black History Month. She focused on how music contributed to race relations in the past decades, and how music and other art forms reflect on the history of the social and political aspects of racism.

Audience members at this year’s Black History Month lecture expected to listen to civil rights activist Bernice Johnson Reagon speak. Instead they got to listen to her sing ­— and join in too.

On Monday, Reagon presented a “songtalk” ­to about 90 people for UNC’s eighth annual keynote.

A “songtalk” is a lecture interspersed with black spirituals and freedom songs that highlight the struggles of blacks in the fight for civil rights.

“When black people came to America, they had to create a way to live within the system. You have to create a culture in order to survive,” she said.

Reagon emphasized the importance of going beyond survival, which she said was one of the most important reasons for the civil rights movement.

“At some point in your life, you have to ask, why am I here? Am I here to go along, or am I here to create a world that will make more sense to me?” Reagon said.

As Reagon told her story and the story of others involved in the movement, she sang freedom songs and African spirituals. Many songs focused on civil rights leaders and on not giving up the fight for freedom.

Reagon encouraged the audience to sing the songs with her and harmonize with her voice.

“You may feel like you’re here, you’re present, if you’re sitting there watching me sing, but if you’re not singing along, you’re not truly part of the community,” she said.

As the audience joined her, Reagon sang the songs of imprisoned Freedom Riders who she said had an energy that wasn’t just about surviving.

Lloyd Kramer, chairman of the history department who helped introduce her, said Reagon’s career has shown how historical knowledge can be conveyed through many outlets.

“People like to sing about their history more than they like to read or write about it,” Kramer said.

“This is an important opportunity to promote the understanding of the African-American community both at the university and within the wider community.”

UNC

“She is responsible for the resurrection and preservation of African-American sacred songs about struggle,” McNeil said. “This is a culture that’s trying to keep a people alive in an impossible situation.”

Reagon urged the audience to not only look back, but to continue to move forward with the civil rights movement.

“There are always things going on in the world you live in that need to be addressed,” she said. “Don’t leave stuff the way you find it.”

Contact the University Editor ?at university@dailytarheel.com.