Deborah Barreau, associate professor in library science, dies of cancer

10723_0213_barreau_tnailf.jpg

Deborah Barreau, a leader and long-serving professor in the School of Information and Library Science, died of cancer Friday. She was 62.

Barreau, who was an associate professor and the Frances Carroll McColl Term Professor in the school, taught at UNC for 25 years until her death.

Gary Marchionini, dean of the school, said it is going to rename its teaching award in her honor.

“It will forever be known as the Deborah Barreau Award for Teaching and Excellence,” Marchionini said.

“I told her a couple days before she died. She wasn’t speaking much, but she did smile.”

Barreau won the award twice, once in 2004 and 2008.

Marchionini said he visited her in the hospital several times before Barreau passed away.

“I would go to visit her,” he said. “She would apologize for not being able to her work. She wanted to help with the grading (for her classes) even though she could hardly hold her laptop.”

Barbara Moran, a professor in the school, said Barreau was a true inspiration.

“She was absolutely a wonderful colleague and friend,” Moran said.

Barreau was elected director-at-large of the American Society for Information Science and Technology in 2008. The organization leads about 4,000 information science and library professionals in more than 50 countries around the world.

“We have lost a wonderful person in our field,” Moran said. “She was an outstanding leader.”

Marchionini said Barreau always put students first.

“She was always supportive,” Marchionini said. “In 25 years, I never saw her get angry.”

Barreau attended the University as a student, graduating with a master’s degree in teaching and a bachelor’s degree in sociology. She earned her Ph.D. in library and information services from the University of Maryland at College Park.

Moran said Barreau exemplified selflessness.

“So many people are always so caught up in their own needs,” Moran said.

“She was never that way.”

A visitation was held in Durham on Sunday.

The University will hold its own memorial service soon, according to the school’s website.

Coworkers said Barreau put others first throughout her life.

“She’s a wonderful person and adviser. She had all the qualities I wanted in an adviser,” said Ph.D. student Ericka Patillo.

“I don’t think I have the words to express how great this loss is.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.