First SBP endorsements split

College Republicans endorse Calvin Lewis, Dems tap Tim Longest

10473_0207_sbp_barlettaf.jpg
Will Leimenstoll-dark gray sweater Tim Longest-blue suit Calvin Lewis-light gray sweater College Republican's Student Body President Debate, 6pm Feb. 6th in 307 Dey Hall (small classroom) Young Democrats Student Body President Forum, 7pm Feb. 6 in Manning 209 (large lecture hall) Students asking questions Amy Hazle Wurst-exchange student from University of Sheffield (England), sophomore majoring in Politics and International Studies, asked about where candidates would look for investment opportunities Travis Crayton, junior Political Science/Public Policy double major, asked about the Town Council ordinance on North Side and about students living in North Side

Republicans endorse Lewis

The UNC College Republicans hosted the first debate of the year in the race for student body president and ultimately endorsed Calvin Lewis Jr.

“We liked his involvement with other groups,” said Greg Steele, the group’s chairman. “He would do a fine job of representing the school.”

Association of Student Governments

The association represents all 17 UNC-system schools to the Board of Governors and is funded by $1 in student fees. It has been criticized in the past for being ineffective.

TIM LONGEST: The decision of whether to remain in ASG should be up to a referendum.

CALVIN LEWIS: UNC should remain in ASG. “We’re much more powerful as a system of students than as a single school.”

WILL LEIMENSTOLL: UNC should not pull out of ASG just yet.
Executive branch stipends

LONGEST: Stipends need to be kept to preserve socioeconomic diversity.

LEIMENSTOLL: Removing stipends from top-level student government offices would keep students who need part-time jobs out of leadership positions.

LEWIS: Stipends should be kept because projects like the Student Enrichment Fund are a positive byproduct of stipends.

Democrats endorse Longest

Following a forum attended by more than 50 people, the UNC Young Democrats voted to endorse Tim Longest for student body president.

“We were impressed with his intimate knowledge of student government and local politics, and his knowledge of who to talk to when something needs to be done,” said Austin Gilmore, the group’s president.

Tuition advocacy

With unprecedented tuition increases proposed by UNC, advocating for lower hikes has become one of the main responsibilities for the student body president.

WILL LEIMENSTOLL: A statewide tuition coalition to advocate against hikes should be created.

TIM LONGEST: Students should be their own tuition advocates.

CALVIN LEWIS: Holding tuition forums would foster a dialogue.
University-town relations

LEIMENSTOLL: An online initiative would connect off-campus students with the town contacts.

LONGEST: Developing the Good Neighbor Initiative would encourage students to improve relationships with their neighbors.

LEWIS: Working with the division of student affairs and the town could make UNC’s role in town decisions more prominent.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.