Law student Jackie Azis wins ACLU award

Photo: Law student Jackie Azis wins ACLU award (Andrew Edwards)
Jackie Azis stands in front of the Law building. Azis has been involved with a lot of cases involving the ACLU.

She was the recipient of an award from the American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina on Saturday, but third-year law student Jackie Azis says she is just starting her efforts to promote civil liberties in the community.

Azis, who received a degree in journalism from the University of Florida, was nominated for the award because of her involvement in revitalizing the Carolina Law Chapter of the ACLU.

“I’m definitely very humbled. I never thought for one moment that the ACLU was work,” she said. “It’s what I enjoy and am passionate about.”

Jennifer Rudinger, executive director of the ACLU of North Carolina, said she nominated Azis for the Norman Smith Award because of her dedication to the ACLU’s principles and her ability to exceed expectations.

“The Norman Smith award … (is) only given when we have a volunteer who has gone above and beyond and demonstrated extraordinary commitment to ACLU,” Rudinger said.

She said Azis interned with the national ACLU Capital Punishment Project in Durham last summer, but her leadership spanned beyond the internship.

“It’s wonderful to see people who feel so passionate entering into the legal profession, so I nominated her,” Rudinger said. “As a student volunteer she’s just been so committed and I thought she met the criteria for this particular award.”

Azis’ involvement with the ACLU reached the national level in the summer of 2011.

Working as an intern for the Capital Punishment Project, Azis helped write court case briefs and research and document the lives of individuals facing the death penalty in capital cases.

Her leadership with the UNC chapter of the ACLU has also resulted in the organization of several important events that have taken students off campus and into the community.

Some of these events included a protest against North Carolina’s proposed gay marriage constitutional amendment, professor and student discussion panels on the University’s campus and a coordinated effort to lobby state lawmakers on a variety of issues.

Katy Parker, legal director of the ACLU of North Carolina Legal Foundation, served as Azis’ supervisor during the summer of 2010 when she worked as a full-time law clerk.

“She illustrates what’s great about her generation of law students, particularly Carolina law — that they have a commitment to the world around them and public interest,” she said.

Azis said she was honored to receive the award.

“It’s something I never expected,” she said. “There are so many inspirational activists in North Carolina, it’s an honor to be among the greatest activists in our state in receiving this award.”

Azis said she plans to continue working with civil rights.

“Hands down I would like to do civil liberties and civil rights-type work,” she said. “That’s where my passion lies.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.