Local artist documents lives of people residing in mobile homes

With a $1,000 arts grant, local artist Susan Simone will take a look at what she views as the unseen communities in Orange County’s midst.

Simone has wanted to document the lives of people who live in mobile homes since the 1980s.

And when the Orange County Affordable Housing Advisory Board discussed living and sanitary conditions of mobile homes in 2011, it seemed like the perfect time to start the project.

“It sounded like a good time to apply to the county for some money and start working on it,” Simone said.

In 2010, mobile homes made up 14.1 percent of the total housing units in North Carolina and 7.8 percent of units in Orange County, according to U.S. Census data.

Simone’s project, “Trailer Tales: The Mobile Home Story in Orange County, N.C.,” will combine photography and oral history techniques to create a record for this less-visible segment of society.

“My goal is neither to advocate for or against this form of housing — but to make it visible,” she said.

She said she will use the grant as she photographs six trailer homes in the next six months.

Commission Director Martha Shannon said Simone’s project will shed light on a segment of the population that has not been focused on before.

Simone was one of three local individual artists who received a $1,000 grant from the commission.

The commission supports local artists and arts organizations by distributing funds received by the county government and the N.C. Arts Council.

“We have a vibrant art community in Orange County,” said Pam Hemminger, vice chairwoman of the Board of Commissioners. “It is part of our economic development plan to support local artists.”

Grant awards are based on artistic merit and benefits to the residents of Orange County, Shannon said.

“It is a very strong project and Simone has the artistic talent to carry it out,” Shannon said.

“You never know what could come from these oral history documentaries in terms of ways to improve people’s living and future.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.