Men’s lacrosse ready for exhibition match against Pioneers

It may only be an exhibition game, but the North Carolina men’s lacrosse team isn’t making things easy for itself this weekend.

No. 6 UNC will take on the fifth-ranked Denver Pioneers on Saturday morning at Navy Field in the team’s first action since an October exhibition game against Bucknell. And although this weekend’s matchup won’t count toward their record, the Tar Heels are not taking it lightly.

In its final game before the regular-season opener against Penn State, UNC is looking to make any final adjustments necessary to enter the season in top form.

“We couldn’t ask for a better tune-up,” senior attackman Thomas Wood said. “(Denver is) a top-five team, they went to the Final Four last year and returned their entire offense. They played Team USA to a one-goal game, so they’re definitely a fantastic team.”

With a healthy offense —including returning players Greg McBride and Tyler Morton, who both sat out last season with injuries — coach Joe Breschi said that his team is as deep as it has ever been.

The goal now, he said, is building relationships between old and new faces, especially for the defenders.

“I’m really encouraged by the leadership we have,” Breschi said. “I think defensively we’re a bit young, but that’s OK. I think with time things will come together.”

Wood, who was third on the team in points scored last season, agreed.

“We’re fortunate to have a lot of our older guys in significant roles, even though our senior class is pretty limited,” Wood said. “We have a great team, not just talentwise but from a work ethic standpoint as well.”

The Tar Heels are hoping to improve upon last season’s finish, in which the Tar Heels exited the NCAA tournament following a first-round loss to Maryland.

“In the three years I’ve been here, we’ve started in the top 10 and finished there,” Breschi said. “We’re not where we want to be, but we’re excited about the recruiting classes and the culture of the program and the commitment.

“That’s all a recipe for success, but we need to go out there and prove it.”

Fans will have plenty of opportunities to watch them try to do it. Six of UNC’s games this season will be televised on ESPN channels.

“And if the weather stays like this, we’ll have great crowds,” Breschi said.

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.