Music Review: J. Capri

J. Capri, the newest addition to the Triangle’s almost-underground hip-hop club, is quick to recognize the strength of the region’s growing scene.

On BornStars, J. Capri establishes a fresh presence as a member of the growing Raleigh hip-hop scene. Between the smattering of collaborations including Jon Connor and Rapper Big Pooh (Little Brother), and his passionate spit and catchy flows, J. Capri is making his voice heard.

Throughout the album, J. Capri represents the Raleigh scene with shout outs to “North Cackalack” and “his N.C. homies” like King Mez, Rapsody and Thee Tom Hardy, as well as local prodigies like basketball player John Wall.

Like many of the emerging emcees in the area, Capri glowingly credits his hometown and its homegrown scene as a major source of pride and inspiration.

“Tomorrow” and “Chronicles” start the album off strong with fast-paced spits and sharp production. Capri effectively channels the power of words throughout, as referenced in “Tomorrow” when he raps, “I use these lyrics as bullets, just spit ‘em out and reload ‘em.”

Mid-album, the track “Put On” featuring Laws energizes the listener for the next half of the album with relatively accessible hooks and a sustained energy. Overall, it’s J. Capri’s tracks like these and a variety in production that propels Bornstars forward.

Although the mix tape tediously lingers with various interludes, the album maxes out at a daunting 20 tracks. J. Capri throws in a variety of beats and background on his tracks. However, there are still occasional gaps in the flow of the album that should be filled with either a continuous experience, or cut down to something more listenable.

BornStars demonstrates that J. Capri has the potential and the drive to keep doing what he loves, and perhaps on a bigger scale. His overall sound has many parallels to his fellow hip-hop Raleighites, but in this burgeoning and connected community of hip-hop, perhaps it’s only appropriate.