North Carolina men’s lacrosse team gets first taste of true competition

The No. 6 North Carolina men’s lacrosse team got its first taste of true competition in 2012 Saturday in an exhibition game against No. 5 Denver.

UNC was finally able to shed practice uniforms and don its game day jerseys in a tune-up game before opening against Penn State next week.

“It was good to get out there and get the sweats off and play against someone else,” senior midfielder Jimmy Dunster said.

Because it was an exhibition game, the statistics and final score were not officially recorded. But that didn’t stop both teams from playing with intensity in a relaxed atmosphere at Navy Field.

“I would have expected a slow start,” coach Joe Breschi said. “But anytime you start a game or a scrimmage-type thing, it kind of energizes people a little bit. That’s probably why there was more energy early and then we tapered off a little bit.”

The match was up-tempo from the opening faceoff. The first quarter featured a great amount of offense, as Denver and UNC evenly traded goals and possessions during the first quarter.

UNC also showed its potential on defense, opening the game with back-to-back defensive stops.

“Defensively we did a good job of holding them,” midfielder Mark McNeill said. “They have a lot of crafty guys.”

Possibly a result of UNC fatigue, Denver exerted its control as the game wound down.

“It was the first time we’d played that long and at that speed,” Dunster said. “So I’m sure everyone’s legs were a little tired and that stuff. But, overall, I think we’ve just got to stick to the plan that Coach is saying, and hopefully more shots will keep coming throughout the game.”

If Saturday was any indication, returning attackman and preseason third-team All-American Marcus Holman will not be slowing down any time soon. The junior captain led UNC’s offensive charge, generating shot opportunities and goals with his leadership on the field.

Breschi played all available substitutes, including his three goalies. Returning starter Steven Rastivo played his rotation in the cage first and proved very effective.

“Each guy played a third of the game, and that was our goal,” Breschi said. “I was really pleased with their effort. Some of the opportunities they got they couldn’t save, but I think they did a good job of making the saves they were supposed to.”

Moving forward, a point of emphasis for the Tar Heels will be winning faceoffs. Often a lost faceoff battle led to a Denver goal.

“There’s no question we’ve got a lot of things to work on,” Breschi said. “I think we were anticipating a good battle at the faceoff X. Obviously it’s going to be a point of emphasis this week, not a concern, just a point of emphasis.”

The game also featured new faces in the starting lineup, including transfer Davey Emala from Georgetown.

Fellow transfer Jack McBride and returning star Nicky Galasso, who is still recovering from offseason foot surgery, did not play in the game.

The final preseason game will give the Tar Heels a chance to iron out any wrinkles that appeared.

“We’re probably going to watch a lot of film from this game,” Dunster said. “The coaches do a great job of preparing us and putting us in the best position to win.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.