LOS ANGELES (MCT) — It was a typical morning at the start of the school day: Breakfast was being served at the Chardon High School cafeteria when the deadly pops began in the hallway of the small-town Ohio campus.

“Everybody just started running,” Megan Hennessy, 17, told The Associated Press. Hennessy said she was in class when she heard the noises. “Everyone was running and screaming down the hallway.”

At least one student died and four others were injured when a gunman opened fire in the school, according to officials who were still sorting through the evidence, seeking a motive.

The dead student was later identified as Daniel Parmertor by his family.

A student was in custody in the case, but has not been identified because of his age, officials said. He has not yet been charged, they said.

Freshman Danny Komertz told the AP that he believed the gunman was looking for certain students. He said he saw one student dive under a cafeteria table to hide, unsuccessfully.

Komertz described the shooter as an outcast who had apparently been bullied by others.

A teacher chased the gunman out of the building after the shootings, officials said. The suspect was apprehended outside and was being questioned by authorities.

Officials said the first emergency calls went out around 7:38 a.m. local time and that responders found victims in three separate areas.

Chardon is a town of slightly more than 5,000 people, about 30 miles from Cleveland.

“I’m a single dad and I’m pretty devastated,” one parent told a television reporter. “This is not something you would expect at this locale.”