A proposed gun control amendment that would solidify existing concealed-carry laws in Orange County has raised opposition — even though it wouldn’t actually change anything in practice.

On Tuesday night, Orange County officials will vote on a proposed amendment that would prohibit concealed weapons on any county-owned property, including many public parks.

Orange County has prohibited carrying concealed weapons in county parks and buildings since 1995. The amendment would simply identify the facilities at which a person cannot carry a weapon to add clarity to the rule.

“In essence, we are not changing the rules about firearms from what they currently are,” said Bernadette Pelissier, chairwoman of the Orange County Board of Commissioners.

The amendment was proposed after the N.C. General Assembly voted in July 2011 to expand the ability of concealed-carry permittees to possess concealed weapons statewide.

The General Assembly simultaneously allowed local governments to regulate concealed weapons on local government-owned recreational facilities. They defined “recreational facilities” in the bill as “a playground, an athletic field, a swimming pool (or) an athletic facility.”

Between Aug. 1 and Dec. 31, 254 concealed-carry permits were issued in Orange County, according to Maj. Charles Blackwood of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

And many North Carolina residents — including some who don’t live in the county — have voiced opposition to the proposed amendment.

Jacobs said he and other commissioners have received more than 50 emails, many of which are titled: “Comply with state law, do not end guns in parks.” The emails say the amendment violates the General Assembly’s provision.

Chris Weaver, a precinct captain for the Orange County GOP, said the weapons ban goes deeper than it sounds.

“This law is targeted at lawful citizens and protects criminals,” Weaver said. “Criminals have a greater selection of places to go target people.”

He said a group called Grass Roots North Carolina, a nonprofit gun-rights organization, has fought similar recent policy revisions in Guilford County and Winston-Salem.

Paul Valone, the president of Grass Roots North Carolina, said his group would take the issue to the courts if necessary.

“Recreational facilities are defined as certain things in the House bill, and parks aren’t on the list,” he said.

But Orange County Attorney John Roberts said all of Orange County’s parks contain playgrounds, swimming pools or athletic facilities.

And Commissioner Barry Jacobs said he thinks the amendment is a good idea.

“Recreational areas are owned by the people just like government buildings,” he said.

He said Orange County experienced an issue with gun control in 2001 when a bail bondsman who had a weapon in his possession chased a suspect who had failed to make a court appearance through Efland Cheeks Elementary School, cutting through a playground filled with children.

“I don’t think guns and children mix,” he said.

Commissioner Earl McKee said he had some concerns about the amendment.

“I have extreme reservations when we include parks, such as Little River Park, where there are miles of isolated trails,” he said. “I am very concerned about safety.

“Most criminals don’t adhere to concealed-carry laws anyway.”

There is no public hearing scheduled for the gun rules agenda item.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.