Sigma Phi ready to gain recognition from Interfraternity Council

Although they are not yet recognized by the Interfraternity Council as an official brotherhood, members of the Sigma Phi Society are ready to make an impact on UNC’s Greek community.

The group is officially considered a student organization rather than a fraternity, but members said they are in the first stages of applying to be part of the IFC.

Aaron Bachenheimer, director of fraternity and sorority life and community involvement, said the process could start as soon as this semester.

“They’re doing things that I think both the University and the IFC want to see out of groups which want to be successful,” Bachenheimer said.

Sigma Phi is not brand new, as the chapter was started in 2008 by four UNC students who were recruited and contacted by the national Sigma Phi organization.

But the four creators lacked the resources to make the fraternity sustainable, said Recruitment Chairman Brandon Mayfield.

Mayfield said the founders recruited 17 students to jump-start the organization last spring, and since then it has almost doubled.

Sigma Phi aims to recruit people who are not part of the usual fraternity crowd in order to open up the Greek community, said Vice President Tal Havivi.

“Although we respect them a lot, some people don’t fall into categories of most fraternities here,” he said. “We are providing an alternative.”

This school year, Sigma Phi recruited 15 brothers who were invited to rush by their involvement in the campus life, bringing their membership to a total of 32.

“We are trying to do something meaningful and fun for a lot of guys,” said President Josh Barrett.

But even though Sigma Phi is still small compared to the other fraternities, brothers said they are less worried about size than quality of their brotherhood.

“We’d rather be known as a smaller group for great things than as a larger group for things that aren’t that great,” said Jacob Morse, public relations chairman.

The rush period for Sigma Phi is different in its timeline and process because of its lack of official fraternity standing, but that will change upon IFC recognition.

“We have a more selective rush process,” Mayfield said. “We’re pickier on who we want to come to our events during rush week.”

To provide a more communal feel, 14 members of Sigma Phi will move to an off-campus house next year, even though it will not be an official fraternity house.

IFC President Jack Partain said Sigma Phi is the first group in a long time that is entirely new to campus and also trying to join the IFC.

“We hope they will get through the process soon,” he said. “It will be a positive addition to the IFC.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.