Wednesday May 5th

Student groups honor Human Rights Week

UNC’s Human Rights Week begins today, a week of free events designed to promote dialogue about relevant human rights issues.

The week is sponsored by two Campus Y committees and UNC’s chapter of Amnesty International.

Attend the events:

Monday

‘Voices through Visions’: The human rights photography exhibition opens. Winning photographs will be featured in Campus Blueprint Magazine.
Location: Union, West Lounge

Di Phi debate: Social services for non-citizens? Watch Di Phi debate and join the discussion.
Time: 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Location: New West, third floor

Tuesday

‘Genocide: Then and Now’: STAND, a chapter of the student-led division of the Genocide Intervention Network, will have an interactive display about the history of genocide.
Time: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Location: the Pit

‘Seeing Poverty Through a New Lens’: Attend a talk by Silent Images founder David Johnson. Silent Images is a nonprofit organization that educates others through stories of hope in areas of persecution, poverty or oppression.
Time: 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Location: Union, Room 3209

Wednesday

Food justice with Vimala: The first 30 people to RSVP will receive a free dinner and discussion with the founder of Vimala’s Curryblossom Cafe. RSVP to ahr.campusy@gmail.com.
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Anne Queen Faculty Lounge of the Campus Y

Thursday
‘Speak Up!’: Hear spoken word for human rights with Rejects, Wordsmiths, Sacrificial Poets and Ebony Readers/Onyx Theatre.
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Location: Bingham Hall, Room 10

Friday
‘Translating Human Rights’: Enjoy free food and a Public Service Scholar (PSS) skills training on how to translate human rights concerns into policy proposals. This workshop is presented by the Roosevelt Institute.
Time: 2 p.m.
Location: Campus Y, Room 207

Rachel Myrick, one of the co-chairwomen of the Advocates for Human Rights committee, said the events cover a variety of human rights topics.

“Our goal is to appeal to a number of different groups in order to get them to partner with us and join our cause,” Myrick said.

Kelsey Jost-Creegan, the organization’s other co-chairwoman, said while previous years have featured a single theme, this week will include multiple perspectives.

“There will be something for everyone,” she said.

Myrick said the week will cost about $500. The Campus Y allocates about $1,000 to theme weeks like this one, she said.

“Human Rights Week provides the Carolina community with a tremendous opportunity to see the collaborative work of the Campus Y’s committees while engaging in activities that delve into and expose some of the most pressing human rights issues worldwide,” said Mackenzie Thomas, co-president of the Campus Y, in an email.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021