There was a lot of positive energy at Chapel Hill’s Nightlight on Tuesday.

Whether you’re into thrillingly energetic live shows, avant-garde vocals or joyful Beatles covers, VIRGINS hit all the stops.

Saman Khoujinian, lead vocalist and guitarist, and Gabriel Anderson, drummer and vocalist, first performed as VIRGINS last year when they journeyed around the southeast on two bike tours. The local psychedelic folk duo played in front of a nearly packed venue for their first headlining act in Chapel Hill. And for some songs, they played with a packed stage.

Khoujinian and Anderson incorporated a collection of extra musicians for part of their show, to their audience’s excitement — sometimes a bassist, sometimes a keyboard player and sometimes a team of female backup singers.

“We almost never play songs the exact same way that they’re recorded,” Khoujinian said.

The creative variety of VIRGINS’ set list, which included both original songs and covers, kept its cheerful listeners on their toes.

Experimental lyrical style pervaded VIRGINS’ show. Khoujinian often pushed to employ both ends of his vocal range, while Anderson growled and whispered into his own microphone. Dissonant vocal harmonies and surefire rhythm — especially reminiscent of musicians like The Dirty Projectors and Andrew Bird — gave VIRGINS an absorbing live presence.

The enthusiastic pair was well received on their faster-paced upbeat songs that were able to hold the attention of an energetic crowd.

The night opened with a special hammer dulcimer and cello performance by Jordan Humphrey and Christian Adams. Their set, although short, ranged in style from classical to Celtic, preparing the audience for the diverse show that came next.

With a new album in the works, the local music scene can look forward to more creative live appearances by VIRGINS.