CHICAGO (MCT) — Barbara Latasiewicz, a Polish immigrant who has lived in a LaGrange, Ill., hospital since September 2009, will return to Poland under an arrangement approved by a Cook County judge Thursday.

Latasiewicz, 60, is in the United States illegally after overstaying a visa. She ended up at Adventist LaGrange Memorial Hospital after suffering a stroke while cleaning a home, and has been unable to find a place for long-term care. She has no family who can take care of her, no insurance and doesn’t qualify for public aid.

The hospital has been taking care of her for more than two years even though it is a short-term care facility. But early this month, the hospital was able to arrange placement for Latasiewicz at a hospital in Krakow, Poland.

Despite objections from the Office of State Guardian, which is Latasiewicz’s legal guardian, Judge Cheryl Cesario sided with the hospital.

“This court finds without question that it is absolutely improper for a person to live in a hospital room,” the judge said.

Latasiewicz’s son, Peter, has declined to care for his mother because of his own financial troubles. A father of two, he has declared bankruptcy and lost his home. He told the judge his situation is still the same and that he is not able to care for her.