2011 UNC graduate Ben Keilman runs for NC House of Representatives

Ben Keilman wanted to do something different after graduating from UNC last spring.

Keilman, who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in political science and a minor in naval science, said he never saw himself pursuing a career as a politician. But he is running for the Republican nomination in District 118 of the N.C. House of Representatives.

“I really am a shy person, but the sheer importance of it forced me to run,” he said.

Keilman’s campaign staff is mostly concentrated in Chapel Hill, though his district is located north of Asheville.

“Most of my committee started out in Chapel Hill,” he said. “My UNC network has been an excellent help.”

Keilman said he’s running to restore fiscal discipline in the state’s capital, calling himself a “Raleigh outsider.”

The state legislature should only spend money on projects that create an obvious long-term benefit for the economy, he said.

“My real interest is in intelligent research and responsible governing,” he said. “Government is not doing what the people want.”

Keilman will face a stiff challenge in winning the Republican primary, with two experienced opponents also running for the right to battle five-time incumbent Rep. Ray Rapp, D-Haywood.

Michele Presnell, a county commissioner in Yancey County and a candidate in the GOP primary, doesn’t view Keilman as a significant factor in the race.

“The way I look at it is, I am running against Ray Rapp,” she said. “I have no plans to do anything huge in the primary.”

Rapp, who is seeking his first term since Republicans drew new district lines as a part of the state’s redistricting process, said he will not be concerned with the Republican primary candidates until a challenger emerges.

He said he’s never heard of Keilman except through the “grapevine,” but his lack of experience might be an issue for his candidacy.

Rapp is currently a minority whip for the Democrats.

“The experience is important,” he said.

Keilman said his time at UNC influenced his political views, citing classes involving modern political thought and terrorism.

Ferrel Guillory, a UNC journalism professor and an expert on Southern politics, said the state needs more young people like Keilman to step up and become leaders in government.

“So much of our politics have been dominated by the baby boomers,” he said. “I think it is important for the state that we nurture young leaders.”

Keilman said he sees the potential for a political youth movement to occur.

“The voice of our generation is growing.”

Contact the State and National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.