A look ahead: UNC vs. Creighton

UNC forward James Michael McAdoo drives to the hoop. McAdoo had 17 points in the Tar Heels 77-58 win over Vermont in the second round of the NCAA tournament at the Greensboro Coliseum on Friday, March 16, 2012.

North Carolina struggled at times in its 19-point win against Vermont, but a win puts the Tar Heels through to the third round. UNC senior forward Tyler Zeller helped lead UNC to its 77-58 win Friday with 17 points. Freshman forward James Michael McAdoo co-piloted the effort with 17 points of his own.

UNC will once again take the Greensboro Coliseum court, this time to play eighth-seeded Creighton on Sunday.

Here are a few storylines to keep an eye on before that game, as well as a few things that are just worth noting.

* A high school reunion: When Harrison Barnes plays Creighton Sunday, he’ll be playing against friend and former high school teammate Doug McDermott. The two were part of some consider to be the best Iowa high school team ever when they played together at Ames High School. McDermott is the son of Creighton coach Greg McDermott. What should make this matchup even more intriguing is that McDermott at 6-foot-7 may very well guard the 6-foot-8 guard. It should make for a good matchup. McDermott is averaging 23 points and 8.2 rebounds this season. Barnes is averaging 17.4 rebounds and 5.2 assists.

* Henson-watch: John Henson didn’t play Friday against Vermont, as expected. Henson fell on his left wrist and injured it at the ACC tournament, and the 6-foot-11 forward’s return is still in question. UNC coach Roy Williams said Henson can now palm the ball and catch it as well. “Got him into the post and said, ‘all right, let me see you make a ball fake drop step where you have to take a two hand power dribble and then lay it up,’” Williams said Friday. “And he was able to do it and catch it, but it didn’t look like he was very comfortable with it.” UNC will undergo a similar evaluation of Henson Saturday when the team practices. One thing is certain, the further UNC advances in the NCAA tournament, the more it will need the ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

*The series: …or lack thereof. North Carolina and Creighton have only played twice and UNC won each of the two previous meetings. Sunday’s game will be the first time the two teams meet since Dec. 12, 1970, and history would suggest top-seeded UNC will advance to the Sweet 16. UNC is 48-9 as a No. 1 seed in NCAA Tournament play, and the Tar Heels have never missed a Sweet 16 as a No. 1 seed.