De La Rosa, adviser bid farewell at final Student Congress meeting

On the night that Speaker Zach De La Rosa said farewell to Student Congress, he did not have to say goodbye to Student Body President Mary Cooper.

Both Cooper and De La Rosa are slated to participate in Texas as part of Teach for America.

“I don’t need to miss Mary, simply because we will be spending the entire summer together,” De La Rosa said.

De La Rosa’s departure was not the most significant of the night — members also commemorated the end of Jon Curtis’ time as an adviser to student government.

As part of his role as associate director of student activities and organizations, Curtis has been advising student government since 1995.

“I was one of those students who thought, ‘Student government, what the heck do they do?’ But I have certainly learned my lesson,” Curtis said.

A resolution, which identified Curtis as the “Dumbledore” of student government, was passed to thank Curtis for his efforts.

In his last address to the body, De La Rosa highlighted what Student Congress has achieved during the course of the year — including bringing more accountability to student government and amending the Student Code.

“It has been an exciting year, and I have been grateful to work with each and every person in this room,” he said.

“Together the 93rd Student Congress has achieved a lot, and I think very collectively it should be very proud.”

The amended Student Code has been reduced in length by 29 pages, and revised to be more accessible to students, he said.

Members also looked forward to next year’s leadership.

Amanda Claire Grayson, nominated by the executive branch of student government, was approved as student attorney general.

“I’ve got some great goals for the honor system over the next year, especially in a time of potential reform,” Grayson said.

Three of Student Body President-elect Will Leimenstoll’s nominees for the executive branch of student government were also approved.

Rachel Myrick was approved as student body vice president, Nikita Shamdasani as student body secretary and Shrija Ghosh as student body treasurer.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.